Welcome to Language Crosspoint

Welcome to all new readers everywhere.  This is a blog for everyone and anyone who cares about language, especially the English language.  I believe language is beautiful.   It represents the way to communicate what is in mind and heart to others.  Thus the process itself is beautiful.

Here I will be talking about English language usage in all its forms.  A frequent focus will be correct form within a dynamic society, notably the American culture. 

Getting to the point
I have seen many trends over the course of my life.   One of the more recent ones is the ever-increasing use of abbreviations for all manner of things, usually with no explanation.  For instance, today I saw an abbreviation in a job listing for "the entire DMV area."  Now, I have no clue what that means.  I thought the DMV referred to the Department of Motor Vehicles.  But I did not know the DMV was an area.

So perhaps you get the idea.  Another expansion in the use of such acronyms has been in baseball broadcasts.  Some of these abbreviations are of long-standing.   But others are newer, and -- frankly -- weird.  "RBI" is a long-standing abbreviation for "runs batted in."  Even old-timers know that.  Others are more obscure.

More examples coming
I look forward to giving more (and better?) examples of abbreviated writing in the future.  I hope to show the different facets of issues, and indicate perhaps the better choice.

Again -- welcome!


 

Comments

Popular Posts